Finance Director, US
At Babbel, we believe that everyone should have the chance to learn a new language. Our products are available worldwide across multiple platforms and support those who take joy in learning outside of work or school. Millions of users are benefiting from 9,000+ hours of language content created by Babbel's team of in-house language experts. Our professionally-designed courses are available for 14 languages via the Babbel website as well as on mobile devices, podcasts, and in live virtual classes through our new Babbel Live product.
Babbel has been recognized on the GSV EdTech 150 list for multiple years. Since its founding in 2007, the company has grown to become the market leader in app-based and virtual-class language learning. More than 750 team members from 68 countries share in Babbel's mission to enable everyone to learn a new language. Find out more in this recent TechCrunch article.
Babbel is headquartered in Berlin and has an office in New York City, where this position is based.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Finance to oversee all financial aspects of the US business at both strategic and operational levels
Roles & Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the global CFO with a dotted line to the US CEO, you will work closely with the finance team in Berlin while building out a US team. You will handle forecasting, budgeting, controlling (FP&A), analysis, and accounting for the US, tying into the company-wide planning and reporting activities. You will act as a sparring partner for senior leadership to make sound business decisions based on financial data and scenario analysis, while at the same time you will work to build out a scalable finance function for our fastest growing geographical segment, including both our consumer business and B2B. You will handle a broad range of finance-related duties that will make you a critical member of both the US management and the Berlin finance teams.
- Work with business leaders across various functional teams to understand their respective financial data requirements and translate into improved reporting packages with actionable insights
- Manage the annual budgeting and reforcasting processes for the US and work collaboratively with business leaders across the organization to effectively manage toward revenue, cost, and KPI targets
- Drive improvements to processes across local and global Finance teams that lead to shortened delivery times, simplification, and standardization with enhanced accuracy and insight
- Oversee US internal controls
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a quarterly and annual basis, including contributions towards Supervisory Board and Shareholder reporting
- Oversee US accounting, tax, payroll, and AP work, working in close partnership with Berlin colleagues and external accountants
- Ensure adherence to financial laws, including federal, state and cross border regulations
- Develop processes that scale as the company grows
Ideal background and expertise
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related quantitative field
- 8+ years of finance/accounting experience; including as a director of finance or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of US accounting principles, laws, and best practices with additional IFRS experience a plus
- Expertise in financial analysis, forecasting, and financial modeling
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, Google Suite, accounting packages and enterprise resource planning software; experience with Justworks, Hubspot, Jedox a plus
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability and keen curiosity
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving, communication and interpersonal abilities
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with digital products, apps, subscription business models or SAAS software a plus
- Multilingualism and/or interest in language-learning a plus
We're looking for someone who can hit the ground running and instill operational excellence through process improvement and a relentless focus on delivery. If this sounds like you, and you are interested in an opportunity where you can have outsized impact, read on for more reasons to apply and details on how to do so:
- Working at an international start-up with a strong sense of purpose
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous 401K matching
- Twenty days PTA with additional tenure-based days after two years
- Responsibility from day one; chance to have an outsized impact
- Extensive skill and career development opportunities, including travel to Berlin and cross-border collaboration with colleagues from 60+ countries
This position is based in our NYC office under a hybrid model: office-based but some WFH possible.
Babbel is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
- A “learning company” culture including personalized learning opportunities ranging from lunch & learns to classes, conferences, networking groups, and more
- Every employee has an impact – we do things that matter, and our work helps transforms millions of lives
- Diversity isn’t just part of the Babbel mindset – it’s a strategic advantage
- 3 weeks vacation + 2 weeks of company holidays
- Generous 401k match
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance; FSA and commuter benefits
- 12 weeks paid parental leave + 8 weeks flexible return schedule
- Citibike subscription
- Stocked kitchen and happy hours
- On-site gym, bicycle room, and roof-deck
- Office close to Grand Central Terminal and most major subway lines
The Babbel Story
In 2007 we didn't enter the online language learning market -- we started it.
Since then, one challenge drives us: Everyone learning languages. Why? Because we understand the power of language. How it builds confidence, connects people, solves real-life problems, and opens doors.
From the humble beginning of four entrepreneurs working on a side hustle, we made Babbel into the world’s top-grossing language-learning app with millions of paying subscribers. Fast Company awarded us “The world’s most innovative education company.”
Being first was just the beginning. Today, we’re not only a part of the online language learning market - we lead it. Join us and help us stay there.