Social Media Director
We are looking for an experienced Social Media Director to bring Babbel’s best-in-class teaching videos, expert linguistics content, and more to a wider audience of language learners.
At Babbel, we believe that everyone should have the chance to learn a new language. Our products are available worldwide across multiple platforms and support those who take joy in learning outside of work or school. Millions of users are benefiting from 9,000+ hours of language content created by Babbel's team of in-house language experts. Our professionally-designed courses are available for 14 languages via the Babbel website as well as on mobile devices, podcasts, and in live virtual classes through our new Babbel Live product.
Babbel has just been named a 2023 “Most Innovative Company” by Fast Company and has been recognized on the GSV EdTech 150 list for multiple years. Since its founding in 2007, the company has grown to become the market leader in app-based and virtual-class language learning. More than 750 team members from 70 countries share in Babbel's purpose of creating mutual understanding through language.
Babbel is headquartered in Berlin and has an office in New York City, where this position is based.
About the role:
The social media director will partner with Babbel’s in-house editorial, creative, and video teams on audience development and crafting initiatives that introduce Babbel content to new learners across the globe, as well as build loyalty with its existing social audiences across multiple platforms. The person stepping into this role knows how to translate data into actionable insights for the creatives behind our organic social and video content. This person should also have an eye for revenue, with an understanding of how organic content drives awareness and generates leads among potential subscribers.
If you’re the right candidate for this role, you are knowledgeable about which analytics tools are best and can consolidate data from multiple sources into cohesive dashboards and monthly reports. Whether you’re measuring the performance of a TikTok series (we do a particularly great one on “Translating Spanish Literally”) or the Babbel TikTok as a whole, you craft meaningful KPIs that are inclusive of high-level content strategy and departmental goals.
Ideally, you’re also interested in language and linguistics: Using analytics and targeting to optimize a video about “The Best Time of Day To Practice Learning a Language” or “The Most Bizarre Idioms in Every Language” for the right corner of TikTok should sound like a fun afternoon of work.
Babbel is a place where you’re empowered to think big and be bold. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to shape our organic audience growth strategy while leading and mentoring a talented, creatively charged team of social media managers and producers.
This role is based in our NYC office and reports to the Global Director of Organic Content.
- Oversee organic social media strategy and develop data-driven growth plans for Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube
- Work closely with the Global Organic Content Director to create and meet organic growth KPIs
- Measure the performance of social media content and provide data-driven insights
- Collaborate with in-house creative, editorial, and video teams to produce interesting, useful social media content about language and language learning
- Directly manage and mentor a team of four social media managers and producers
- Collaborate with editorial team on Babbel Magazine content for social media
- 7+ years of experience with a major media outlet, brand, or digital marketing agency
- 2+ years management experience
- A master of digital analytics platforms and tools, such as Falcon, Dash Hudson, Google Analytics, Amplitude, Tableau, and Sistrix
- Able to communicate data into actionable creative insights
- Expertise in all of the following: social media, performance marketing, partnerships
- Has managed paid social and follower growth campaigns for Instagram and TikTok
- A passion and genuine interest in linguistics, languages, and culture
- Working at an international start-up with a strong sense of mission
- Bonus eligible and generous 401K matching
- Responsibility from day one; you can make an impact!
- Strong skill and career development, frequently working closely with the SVP, CEO and other managers
- 20 PTO days every year with additional tenure-based days after 2 years
- Flexible and hybrid work environment, with 2 days/week required in office
Salary Range: $100,000/yr -$115,000/yr, bonus eligible and generous 401K matching
Babbel is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
Babbel was named a 2023 “Most Innovative Company” by Fast Company Magazine, ranking #4 in the education category.
- A “learning company” culture including personalized learning opportunities ranging from lunch & learns to classes, conferences, networking groups, and more
- Every employee has an impact – we do things that matter, and our work helps transforms millions of lives
- Diversity isn’t just part of the Babbel mindset – it’s a strategic advantage
- 3 weeks vacation + 2 weeks of company holidays
- Generous 401k match
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance; FSA and commuter benefits
- 12 weeks paid parental leave + 8 weeks flexible return schedule
- Citibike subscription
- Stocked kitchen and happy hours
- On-site gym, bicycle room, and roof-deck
- Office close to Grand Central Terminal and most major subway lines
The Babbel Story
In 2007 we didn't enter the online language learning market -- we started it.
Since then, one challenge drives us: Everyone learning languages. Why? Because we understand the power of language. How it builds confidence, connects people, solves real-life problems, and opens doors.
From the humble beginning of four entrepreneurs working on a side hustle, we made Babbel into the world’s top-grossing language-learning app with millions of paying subscribers. Fast Company awarded us “The world’s most innovative education company.”
Being first was just the beginning. Today, we’re not only a part of the online language learning market - we lead it. Join us and help us stay there.